Wednesday 16 April 2008

Swearing at Children.

What does raise my hackles is swearing at infants.

Firstly I hope this doesn't come across as lecturing, as someone who is not a parent I can't speak from experience. I respect the fact that it can be stressful at times and tempers can be lost.

Now that I've added that caveat can I now say that it is wrong.

What prompted this was when I was at the Post Office, being Monday morning there was a long queue of people withdrawing their various benefits (there is a cash point nearby but it charges £1.50, and many like my nan prefer to withdraw their pension at the counter like they always have done).

As I left this mother came steaming out pushing her pram with speed and purpose, behind her was a young boy who if he'd ran as a fast as he could there still would have been no way his little legs could keep up with her. He wasn't misbehaving just dawdling along, lost in his own world. "COME ON!" she shouted, turning round "FUCKING MOVE".

I don't know why I was the one who felt embarrassed.

More recently there have been reports of junior football matches being abandoned because of violent and abusive parents and coaches aimed not just at some unfortunate match official but also the players includeing their own child.

Football at a young age should be about fun and with expanding waists keeping fit. Its not great when someone old enough to know better heaps abuse at you and you may not bother again. While some of the parents are probably also bemoaning the lack of quality and depth in the senior England team.

1 comment:

  1. I always thought it was sad, being told how healthy competition and team games were good for me before having to wait in a line while both team captains refused to pick me for their team.
    I knew a few kids back then who felt thoroughly disillusioned with sport and exercise as a result.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment Below